“Abortion: a fundamental right for women”
Members of democratically-elected governments and parliaments,
Members of civil society,
We the citizens,
Reaffirm that freedom from forced motherhood is a fundamental human right;
Reaffirm a woman’s right to choose and to decide whether or not to pursue a pregnancy.
Within this framework, in the course of carrying out our respective roles we commit to:
- Call for abortion to fall within the remit of healthcare, in all countries of the world;
- Call for abortion to cease being considered a crime or an offence and for it to be removed from the penal or criminal code, in those states where this remains the case;
- Call for abortion to be considered a health right, covered by social security or, if necessary, by a medical assistance programme for women without social security;
- Call for conscience clauses specifically pertaining to abortion to be removed from legislation, this provision being already granted on an individual basis for all medical procedures;
- Demand that the imposition of any constraints on access to relevant information about abortion be punished;
- Demand the implementation of education programmes about emotional and sexual relationships from a young age;
- Reject any steps being taken towards granting a foetus legal personhood;
- Call for all means to be put in place to inform women and men of their rights in relation to reproductive and sexual health, including the right to an abortion.